www.expediterworld.com
www.brummionline.de
www.truckstopaustralia.com

Thread: S.P.I.F. Tickets

Default S.P.I.F. Tickets

Good day. I am new to the site today and look forward to connecting with everyone. I work for a Flatbed company that operates a lot between Montreal and Hamilton. We are seeing a huge increase in tickets geared towards our SPIF 4 axles at the Lancaster scales . Steer axle not load equalizing. We are loading legal payloads and our placement is dead on every load ( repetitive type loads) but still the tickets come. We have challenged every ticket at early resolution and have had them dropped. I encourage everyone to fight every ticket like this. I would also like to hear from anyone having similar issues. Once the unit is deemed "steer axle not load equalizing" it is no longer considered SPIF compliant and the payload legal limit is decreased to non-SPIF which now means you are overweight on gross weight , axle weight and axle group weights. The actual charge is "lift axle deployed improperly" This seems like an obvious money grab by the MTO and a lot of companies just pay the fine and continue on which is what they are counting on. If all companies dispute these types of tickets this tactic would surely disappear. I am curious to hear opinions and advice on the matter.

Default Re: S.P.I.F. Tickets

Quote Originally Posted by Truckin Scotty View Post
    Good day. I am new to the site today and look forward to connecting with everyone. I work for a Flatbed company that operates a lot between Montreal and Hamilton. We are seeing a huge increase in tickets geared towards our SPIF 4 axles at the Lancaster scales . Steer axle not load equalizing. We are loading legal payloads and our placement is dead on every load ( repetitive type loads) but still the tickets come. We have challenged every ticket at early resolution and have had them dropped. I encourage everyone to fight every ticket like this. I would also like to hear from anyone having similar issues. Once the unit is deemed "steer axle not load equalizing" it is no longer considered SPIF compliant and the payload legal limit is decreased to non-SPIF which now means you are overweight on gross weight , axle weight and axle group weights. The actual charge is "lift axle deployed improperly" This seems like an obvious money grab by the MTO and a lot of companies just pay the fine and continue on which is what they are counting on. If all companies dispute these types of tickets this tactic would surely disappear. I am curious to hear opinions and advice on the matter.
    Your company had 10 years to become compliant with SPIF regulations. On top of that, owners of trailers manufactured prior to SPIF regs had the opportunity to purchase permits for each unit to exempt them from SPIF regs up to 20 years from date of manufacture or 2020 whichever comes first.
    You can't fix stupid

Steer axle not load equalizing...am I correct that your steer axle on a spif trailer can only weigh what a/one of your axles in your grouping weighs?
    I'm not a baker, I don't sugarcoat anything!

If you're not skilled on the job, you could be killed on the job.

Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap
    Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled

They take the weight on the steer axle then divide the tridem weight by 3. You have to be +/- 500kgs or you are not load equalizing and considered non spif. Our argument is that each axle should be weighed. What if there is a problem with the back axle for instance. This does not mean the steer axle is not equalizing.

I know the law and our equipment is all new. What I am talking about is a misuse of the law and it's interpretation. I am just wondering if anyone else has come up against this issue. And your right you can't fix stupid but you can adjust it.

I'm no expert on this spif crap but I'm aware of 2 problems. The first is the 5th wheels height being too low thus overloading the steerable axle. The second problem is these trailers are prone to premature kingpin wear. You say your equipment is new, have the kingpins been checked.

The tridem can't be split weighed on a per axle basis. It's a grouping under the spif regs.

That's all I can do. I wish you success in your continued fight with the MTV.

Thanks for your input. I will mention the king pin wear to our shop. We have been checking and testing ride height settings vs. kin pin height also as you said it makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckin Scotty View Post
    Thanks for your input. I will mention the king pin wear to our shop. We have been checking and testing ride height settings vs. kin pin height also as you said it makes a difference.
    You can buy different saddles to raise 5th wheels up. Adjusting the air ride (beyond spec)to get height is a bad idea as it changes driveline angles. This can lead to u joint failure among other drive train components.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Ralph is on to something with the height. I had issues hauling 4 axles, I had 24" rubber and the company trucks were 22". Not exactly sure if my fifth wheel was higher or the same as it was many years ago. The stupid thing which cured my problems was adding a 1000# of dunnage on the rear to balance it out. The company rigs had no problems weighing in.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    ..probably in one of my drunken stupors
    DRIVE FRIENDLY