www.expediterworld.com
www.brummionline.de
www.truckstopaustralia.com

Thread: How exactly does a person find a class 1/AZ driving job...?

Default How exactly does a person find a class 1/AZ driving job...?

I've wanted to be a class 1 driver for years but I've never actually seen employers willing to train people. I got my class 1 a decade ago but because it was impossible to get a job driving trucks, I ended up repairing them. I decided I'd try my luck again since I've been driving bob tail for quite a while but It seems like its not the right sort of experience they're after. I've half jokingly said I'd start my own company and hire myself as a driver

Default Re: How exactly does a person find a class 1/AZ driving job...?

First step: knocking on doors and applying??
    Posted via Mobile Device

I did that. Years ago they said I was too young, and at the moment I'm being told they aren't hiring inexperienced drivers. I think when the oilfield picks up there could be more opportunities, right? I'm able to buy a truck, do you know of any way a person could find work as an owner-operator who doesn't have experience? I would feel in over my head I think...

There's lots of opportunities out there. I'm 27, started when I was 20.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Listen closely to Nate, he's done it, worked his butt off and made it. He's the real deal.

My suggestion ... start by doing research to identify the companies you want to work for, choose 4 or 5. Probably bigger companies are better for your situation.

Buying a truck at this point would be the last thing I'd recommend.

Do up a resume and include references that will speak to your technical competence as well as your ethics and moral values. Make sure those references are easy to contact.

Preparation and homework is important.

Visit the companies you are interested in working for to scout out their company standards as to dress and things like facial hair, etc. While you are there, ask for the name of the person who does the hiring because being able to direct your letter and resume and later phone calls to the actual person will give you a better chance of putting it in front of him/her than if its filtered through someone else. Make sure you look like the "company man" that is, for example, if the people working there have multiple piercings, tattoos and motor cycle gang jackets then looking the part goes a long way to showing you'll fit in. Fitting in is equally as important as technical competence.

Its probably better not to leave a resume at this point because it may not get to the person doing the hiring and even if it does you will not standout.

Ask for an appointment to meet with the person who does the hiring. If the answer is NO, they're not hiring or that person is busy then that's a good time to ask for a name.

It's OK to not get a name.

Call the next day and ask to speak to the person who hires or if you were lucky enough to get a name, ask for him or her.

If you get the "NO, sorry" response give it a couple of days and try again. Be aware of the response you get and do not call often enough to make them angry. Instead, let them know you called before and are very interested in working for them. Keep calling but be careful.

In your case tell them you have worked as a mechanic and have those skills to offer. People with multiple skills are valuable.

You are really selling yourself and all of the cold-call sales techniques work when you are job hunting. You might want to ask friends and acquaintances for referrals; again to get the name of the person who does the hiring and especially if they can make a call to introduce you ... that's worth a diner out at a good restaurant.

Most companies will hire a great person even if they don't have a spot right at that moment because there is always turn over.

A salesman once told me he doesn't take rejection seriously because each NO is just one less before he gets a YES.
    Cheers
    Maxx

One of the good things about living in a small community is when I don't know what I'm doing, someone else does.

Make your list and call their recruiters, they will ask you all the right quetions and if they are interested an interview appointment may be set up where you can ask more questions they may even give you a test drive then. Have a list of what you want on hand so you don’t miss anything and find out how much training they will invest in you. Talk to some of their drivers if you can and ask them about the company, most are quite open and honest, even ask them about other companies on your list. But I’d save the fuel and time and make the phone calls, thats what I did and it worked for me as I had several companies waiting for after I got my licence.Posted via Mobile Device

I like blue trucks. I go to companies with blue trucks lol. Like the others make a list go to their door and see how you might fit in. It's not like any other job, you may get a hourly paid job usually 10 to 12 hours per day. It may be paid trip rate and or piece work. You can be paid by the mile 2000 miles loading and going or up to 2800 pin to pin per week. If you get more great but don't bank on it. When I was in the game I liked trip + piece with a blue truck 10-4.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    ..probably in one of my drunken stupors
    DRIVE FRIENDLY

Um you apply for work. I got my AZ and had a job like the next day. You just seem to have applied once and gave up. 10 years ago they needed all kind of drivers no matter the experience level. Well all I'll say is go to big box companies, plus you in Alberta, oil companies hire and train you.

Class of 2013

Shouldn't be too tough. You've got your Class1/AZ ... If you have to work for a bottom feeder company to gain experience, even if its 6 months, you can continuely shop for new jobs while working elsewhere. It will take you quite a few years to get somewhere decent depending on what you want to do, wage etc... Foodservice can suck (certain companies) but if you want to lug frieght, they're always looking for anyone interested in an actual days work. Work 4 days a week, home daily, and earn $70-90k with paid vacay and benefits... A buddy of mine just got lucky, 6 months with Sysco right out of school, then got in with Tim Hortons and couldn't be happier.

You've got a Class 1... experience or not you'll get hired somewhere. People who don't live in this country get hired before arriving... It might be the lowest CPM on earth, but experience is experience. Never hurts to apply wherever you want. Aside from that, you've got the mechanical side of it. Believe it or not, thats valuable on the road. Especially in Alberta, you might be a driver/labourer for someone because you have the ability to at least patch up equipment that will break down in the patch..... You literally shouldn't have an issue getting hired.

Grab A Gear & Disappear !