www.expediterworld.com
www.brummionline.de
www.truckstopaustralia.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CRA Meal Allowance

Quote Originally Posted by liam View Post
    Long Haul Truckers can claim 80% of meals, up to a maximum of three meals a day, and can claim lodging and showers (must keep receipts) for all long-haul trips. While the short haul truckers can claim 50% of meals, only one meal per day can be claimed.
    Short haul can claim more then one if they are gone long enough.Posted via Mobile Device

Default Re: CRA Meal Allowance

yes I'm sure thats what my accountant does.

Quote Originally Posted by the jimmer View Post
    My accounant would calculate how many days i was gone, and then roll it back a few before finishing the calculations. I'd rather leave some money on the table, than go through an audit because my claim was for the maximum amount and red-flagged
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Yes thats how my accountant does it I would guess. Never look at my tax returns, not my problem

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Monkey View Post
    Short haul can claim more then one if they are gone long enough.Posted via Mobile Device
    If your shift is more than 12 hours working local you can claim two meals a day.

In a recent Technical Interpretation, CRA noted that an employer-provided per diem meal allowance will not be taxable where the following conditions are met:

• It must be a reasonable amount;
    • The allowance is received to cover expenses while traveling away from the metropolitan area or the municipality where the employer’s establishment is located, at which the employee normally worked or to which the employee normally reported;
    • The traveling is done to perform the duties of an office or employment.
    Last edited by Maxx; 07-26-2018 at 11:15 AM. Reason: remove unauthorized ad