www.expediterworld.com
www.brummionline.de
www.truckstopaustralia.com

Thread: Living Wage

Batting Practise Champion!

Default Living Wage

Back in the day, and I hate having to keep saying that, we were a LOT better off as professional drivers than what drivers are now. I know there are exceptions today but not as a rule. When I got married in 1973 I was living in Kelowna, BC driving for Millar & Brown Freightlines (a union LTL carrier serving the 4 western provinces). We bought a new 2 bedroom full basement 1200 sq ft house in a subdivision for $22,500.00. My T4 slip for 1972 read $21,500.00. We had a late model car and an old pickup that I drove back and forth to work with, we spent entire summers out at the lake with another driver's family, and my wife didn't have to go out to work, she stayed home and raised the kids. I was gone most nights and home all day and usually had the weekends off. Sounds idyllic now and at the time, it was. We had it good, we worked hard for our wages but we were well paid. Our hydro bill was equalized to approx. $10 per month as was the cable bill. I distinctly remember going in to the local Ford dealer to look at the first pickup listed at over $10,000.00 which was outrageous at the time. It was a loaded 1973 Ford F150 Club Cab. Later that year I bought a 1972 F250 Ranger ex Avis fleet truck for $2100.00 with less than 10,000 miles on it. So, corelate those numbers to today's numbers and see what you come up with. In order to enjoy that standard of living today a driver needs to earn at least $500,000.00 per year or he/she should be able to buy a new house for $60,000.00 and a new loaded pickup for $30,000.00. Just sayin'
    Crime wouldn't pay if the government ran it.

Default Re: Living Wage

I bought my 1st house for 65000 in 86. So I can relate to the way everything has gotten really expensive. Just talking with my son,he is wondering how he will ever own a house at today's prices. 700000 for a nice home in the Waterloo Region.He just graduated as a Mechanical Engineer. Dad is very proud
    Posted via Mobile Device

Tropical Forest Champion!

Unionize.

Everyone.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
    Unionize.

Everyone.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Yes union will get the typical guy more money. I'm not typical. My experience with any union has been lazy ass people that don't want to do their job, and take it out on you when you ask them to.

Tropical Forest Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by a2madmac View Post
    Yes union will get the typical guy more money. I'm not typical. My experience with any union has been lazy ass people that don't want to do their job, and take it out on you when you ask them to.
    Keep watching wages go backwards then.If the average driver gets more money.....then you would as well.Posted via Mobile Device

New truck drivers will be among the working poor. More drivers are working at a discount now than ever before. I don't see how any new driver can scrape together the cash for a down payment on a home unless they run double and combine their incomes to purchase a home that will house multiple families, not my thing but then most of us have never shared a family home